Tuesday, July 14, 2009

RSS Feeds and Readers

Quite a while ago I ventured into the world of feeds and readers using bloglines... I actually liked that website a lot but decided that because I use google applications for so many other things that I would consolidate and use google reader. I subscribe to A LOT of feeds... probably too many. Time to implement a weeding schedule for my blog reader. :-)

I like being able to use google reader to get updates from all of my favorite blogs/website in one place. I follow lots of library feeds from ALA, YALSA etc and also lots of personal blogs of librarians and authors that are not only entertaining but very useful in keeping up with library news, trends, and readers advisory information.

My only issue is that I subscribe to so many that if I don't check it for a week or so it gets so full (right now I have over a thousand unread entries - mostly because of about 600 from the Baltimore Sun which I will take off my list as soon as I am done this post... it's just too much). When it gets full like that sometimes I just click on the "Mark all as read" button and start fresh :-)

With budget constraints and the dropping of several professional journals I think that Feed Readers could be a very good way to keep up with professional reading and information about new books.

Recently I also added some feeds from the AACPL catalog for new items and new young adult items and have been very happy with how it has worked out. I like getting notification of new items... if only I had thought to do that with the new Evanovich I wouldn't be still waiting for the book... I would have known the day it was added to the catalog :-)

No comments: